Monday, April 02, 2007

Boxers 'n' Briefs: Hook, Line, and Stinker

Oh my gosh... where to begin? For those of you who don't know, there was a Gathering in San Jose, CA this last weekend... on April 1st, to be exact... called the "No Fooling Gathering." It was absolutely incredible. Renee/3CatFam did a SPECTACULAR job of organizing the event, which had 85+ people show up. There were so many highlights it is impossible to list, but since this is MY blog, I am going to concentrate on a few things that were memorable to me... in titular order (note: that means I am listing them in the order in which I referred to them in the TITLE of the blog... get your minds out of the gutter!).

The Hook:
We pulled a prank. A good one. A great one, in fact. Now, before I go any further (and many of you already know just how further I am willing to go!), I want to make it perfectly clear: this was all DemXXMen's fault. Their idea. And there is no way we could have pulled it off without them. Hats off to you, DA and CrowGirl (DemXXMen)! So here's how it went down.

A few minues after the "Group Photo", a rookie Police Officer wandered up to the picnic area, carrying a letterbox. He asked to speak to "whoever is in charge." This of course, was Renee of 3CatFam. I called (loudly so all could hear) to Renee, and told her to bring her permits. Renee approached the Officer, and she immediately started showing him the permits and paperwork. The Officer showed her the letterbox, and told her it was illegal to leave these in the park, and he quoted several Penal Codes. He told her that they all needed to be removed or that she would be cited. At this point, I recognized the letterbox as being one of mine. "Hey, that's mine!" I said, and approached the Officer, reaching for the box. He would not give it to me, claiming he needed to confiscate it as evidence. "But it's my box! I would like it back." "No, sir." "That is MY PROPERTY!" "Sir, back down or I will have to arrest you."

During this exchange, Renee kept pleading with me "Wassa, it's ok... wassa, really, let it go... wassa, just do as he says...it's just a letterbox..." I, of course, pushed on, reaching for the letterbox. At this point, the Officer quickly and professionally cuffed my hand, swung me around, and cuffed my other hand behind my back, in the blink of an eye. He then said "Please get on your knees, sir, and remain quiet." This time, I did what he asked. Renee looked on aghast.

The Officer then turned to Renee, and said "Ma'am, I'm afraid I'm going to have to cite you." He reached for his clipboard, grabbed a citation off it, and handed it to her. Strangely, there was a small piece of rubber folded up inside the citation when she took it. The Officer then added, "And by the way, ma'am... you've just been cootied."

It took a few seconds for the realization to sink in, but the eventual look of shock and relief on Renee's face was priceless. The "Rookie Cop" was my 18 year old son, John (no, he is not an Officer, he is still in High School.. but he pulled it off amazingly.) I truly believe this holds the record for the World's Most Elaborate Cootie Passing. Thank you, Renee, for being such a wonderful sport, and I actually am looking forward to the inevitable retribution.

The Line:
I really thought the day couldn't get any better... all these fabulous letterboxers, all the wonderful exchanges and new boxes and friends and food and the Prank worked SOOOOO well... I was in heaven. And then the day, amazingly, got even better.

lisascenic brought out a large cardboard box, and gave it to me. I thought it was a box of Postals that she had brought down from her jaunt up to Portland. Except, strangely, hanging out of the box was a sort of "tab" on a rope that said "Pull Me." What the...??? Well, I pulled. And pulled. And pulled some more. And the clothesline kept coming. And attached to this line... were boxers and briefs! My wonderful, wonderful friend Happy Papaya had spent months arranging with letterboxers throughout the country, this special "tribute" to the work I do on this blog. It was awe inspiring, and extremely touching... I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! But, being me, I chose "laugh"... a LOT! So to all you who participated, THANK YOU! I am honored and blessed to have such wonderful friends. And once I get back from Denver (business trip, leaving in a few hours, get to do a little boxing and exchanging there w/ preboxed and murmur and anyone else, woohoo!), I will be taking pictures of each pair of boxers and briefs, and creating a photo album so EVERYONE can see just how wonderfully CREATIVE and FUNNY these 'boxers are!

The Stinker:
Katie-bug and I had a wonderful time with our new cootie. Not just any old shove-it-in-an-open-backpack kind of cootie, mind you. This one was a real stinker. It is called The Whoopie Cootie. First, let me tell you about the most amazing, incredible, fantastic invention I think I have ever stumbled across, something so awesomely spectacular that it puts most other modern inventions to shame. That's right... The Self-Inflating Whoopie Cushion! BRILLIANT! The one down side to standard Whoopie Cushions is trying to inflate them and be discreet.. no problem here!

Anyway, our Whoopie Cootie is an orange Self-Inflating Whoopie Cushion, which just HAPPENS to be the same color as Orange PZKut. On the bottom of the cushion, we super-glued a stamp. The funny thing about this cootie, is not JUST that to get it you have to get "whoopied", but in order to stamp it into your logbook, you have to press down on the cushion, thus releasing the Humorous Noises. And since most people press repeatedly while stamping to get a good impression, you end up forcing people to make a sort of "poot..poot...poot...pooooot" sound. Laughter ensues, every single time. Needless to say, Katie-bug and her friends had a wonderful time Cootieing everyone they could with it!

So there you have it... a quick summary of a FANTASTIC Letterboxing event. I can't tell you enough what a perfect job Renee and 3CatFam did on this (and it is not JUST because I am trying to suck up after what we did to her)! Thank you to them, and to ALL the wonderful Letterboxers (and related Noxers) who came and made this event so special. Be sure to check out the Photo Album for more fun.

I know, I know... you got down here to the end, and were expecting the usual "Links." That is the only reason you read this far, undoubtedly. However, I need to get ready for my trip, and there are a LOT of links that have built up over the last week... so, if the High-Speed Internet in the hotel is working as it should tonight, I will hopefully follow up with a separate links-only BnB. Thanks AGAIN to the April Fools, and to all those that participated in the Boxers'n'Briefs box.

-wassamatta_u

4 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFLMBO!!! Oh, my goodness, that is just too funny!!! Every little part of it!!!!! Oh, and that Whoopie Cootie ... I'd probably pee my pants I'd be laughing so hard. hahahha!!!! "By the way, ma'am, you've just been cootied"??? Oh, that is classic! I'm dying here - absolutely dying!!!

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad your "incarceration" will not interfere with your Denver trip!!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Woo hoo! Totally glad you didn't see the BnB box coming. Let us know how you fit into our itty bitty tighty whities! :-)

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have NO IDEA how hard it was to keep the Wassa's Boxers a secret for so long! And I am tickled pink that my boxers were in the pictures taken, you big hunk of burning letterboxing love!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home