Monday, January 29, 2007

Boxers 'n' Briefs: Toad Hollow Redux

I am shocked. Simply shocked.

Letterboxers are the most ingenious, creative, savvy, downright clever people I know. So how come NONE of us is able to figure out the origins and true meaning of the "Toad Hollow Day of Appreciation"? Ok, ok, I know several of you have put forth various related links and surmisals, and for those I truly am grateful. But nothing so far has been a definitive answer. You can visit the Toad Hollow Tunnel in Davis, CA (thanks Ballantine Buddies and 3Ms). You can get a Toad Hollow Day of Appreciation Coffee Mug (thanks Bookworm). You can even get Toad Hollow Wines (which, incidentally, are produced by Robin Williams' brother Todd). But NOTHING we, the collective LB Community, has come up with REALLY tells us about this most elusive ersatz holiday. So the challenge remains open. And to sweeten the proverbial pot just a bit, I offer this: The first person who can tell me what it is, where it came from, and can back it up with a web link (or other such proof), will have an entire BnB dedicated to them. This means that the Title, and EVERY LINK (or Caption) will somehow relate to them. Wanna see just how many bad puns I can make with your name? Then FIND ME THAT LINK!

Hmmm... can you say "obsessed"?

1) Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh... be vewy vewy qwuiet...

2) "Courtesy Check on register 5..."

3) Leading them back from Wench they came...

4) Life... don't talk to me about life...

5) If you're Happy and you know it, stab your hand!

6) Yet another creative use for Duct Tape. (Red Green would be proud!)

7) Do do that "To-Do" that you do so well.

8) Cache me if you can.

9) Those who forget History are doomed to replant it.

10) A picture is worth a thousand posts.

11) As Dr. Seuss would say: Box o' Socks Restocks Iraq.

12) Down and out.

13) Feel the looooove!!!

14) Weight Watchers.

15) Reserve-war dogs.

16) Sounds like a plan!

17) See? I'm not the ONLY one who makes bad puns!

Toad Hollow. Think Toad Hollow. Release me from the ravages of this insidious burning curiosity.

-wassamatta_u

8 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hours of my life are flying away while I search for an answer to this question. AUGGGGGGG! I thought it was a Wind in the Willows reference - one of those books that I know I should have, but haven't read. Doesn't seem to be. I have to stop searching now but can't! Thanks for drawing me into your dark world of obsession!

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have posted the question about Toad Hollow Day of Encouragement on Yahoo! Answers, but thus far have not received an answer from anyone who knows what they are talking about. Sorry, wassamatta_u!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just sent you my findings through AQ mail.

~ Leabhar

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger wassamatta_u said...

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner. Leabhar has produced what I consider to be "sufficient background" (and you'll have to wait until the next BnB to find out what that is). Special thanks to TrekkieGal, galaxy4, Nitrocat, and kascadekat, who all came perilously close to BnB Infamy. Thank you, you are all Super Sleuths!
-wassamatta_u

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger wassamatta_u said...

Oh my gosh! This story just keeps getting better and better... Nitrocat just spent a LONG time on the phone with the ACTUAL CREATOR of Toad Hollow Day of Appreciation (THDA)... And WHAT a great story it is! Stay tuned to the next BnB!!! This is soooooo cooooooool!
-wassamatta_u

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*stamping foot and pouting* Noooo,I don't wanna wait! :( I've nearly gone insane, myself, trying to find out about this holiday.

~J
JBBK2006

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my Head hurts.....I'll be repeating Toad Hollow in my sleep. Softwhere, dog camp, snowmobile club, Strange mens web site (scary), Astrologer Mary says a day to encourage people. (No Dah!)
Had a Blast

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anon:

*stamping foot and pouting* Noooo,I don't wanna wait!

:(

I've nearly gone insane...* Uh huh....And then what happened?

All things letterboxing-ish considered...well, you Get That!

Depending on how stomping and insanely MAD you are .....well, generally, or about the stoooopid weather!!!....

You could come to my place in Denver and shovel snow or keep us all warm..until spring.

I'll be moving by then anway...and might leave something behind....

preboxed....50 ferking days of Snow on The Ground and stomping insanely...sew.....

but that's just moi...Oh and btw, there just MIGHT be a Hollow Toad LB tossed in my yard "to be discovered in spring"...even by me...WOM clue coming up soon...if you ask ....nicely and amusingly

The PREview button ..I claim it as my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home